[Tfug] "Opening" a physical ethernet connection

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 12:51:12 MST 2013

Hi John,

On 5/1/2013 12:37 PM, John M wrote:
> I see what you're saying but I've never come across an instance where I had
> to boot up a pc to solely conduct a task on a switch for a large network.
> Allowable managed devices were connected to it at all times, so, Id hop on
> one of them to login.

Yes, but you're thinking in terms of an "IT department"/installation.
Instead, imagine a business with timeclocks, HVAC systems, CNC
machines, lighting control systems, etc. all "on the wire".  I.e.,
the network is "just another UTILITY" -- like electric, gas, etc.

> Your situation is unique.  So, I really haven't heard of a toggle type
> function.

I want, for example, to be able to drag a "network TV/phone/etc."
out onto the front/back porch, "flip a switch" and have access to
the network/servers that will deliver content to me *on* the
porch.  When done, I want to be able to flip that switch *back*
to prevent someone "stealing service" from this "open" connection
point.

[The "tiny network switch in series" approach also gives some measure
of *physical* protection -- an adversary trying to damage the
infrastructure can toast *that* switch without ruining the
"big switch" that it feeds!]

Similarly, for a wireless AP -- flip a switch and *know* that
no one can access the service that it provides (of course, for
an AP, that switch can often be the *power* switch!)