[Tfug] Version Control

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Mon Mar 25 18:20:09 MST 2013

On 25 Mar 2013, Bexley Hall wrote:
> I'm reconsidering whether or not to continue with CVS
> or switch to some other CM/VC toolkit.

Your requirements as I read them are:
- Support any file type without any specific system configuration
  required.
- Commit from any level of the file hierarchy without knowledge
  of what is in it.
- Must have centralized storage capability.
- Size of repo should not be limited except by disk space.
- Performance should not be affected by size of repo.
- GUI's available

I assume you have excluded some of the more common revision
control systems for a reason. For example, Git, Mercurial,
Subversion, etc. Can you fill us in on why?

With the full realization that there might be valid reasons you
have not mentioned them, I recommend either Mercurial or Git. Yes
they are distributed revision control systems, but that does not
prevent you from configuring it with a centralized "master"
repository. I believe they both meet all your requirements.

This may not affect my recommendation, but your requirement
regarding performance is vague. Now, I know you like to write for
a living, but if you can be more specific with fewer words than
your average post, that would help me out. Here are some possible
actions that could be affected by repository size:

- View log
- View status
- Update
- Commit
- Branch
- Merge

Subversion, the natural successor to CVS, does not meet your
performance requirement unless branching is the only thing you
care about from the list I provided.

--
Glen