[Tfug] Version Control

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 18:02:05 MST 2013

Hi,

I'm reconsidering whether or not to continue with CVS
or switch to some other CM/VC toolkit.  Chief among
my requirements is the ability to support *any* file
type (contents) without preconfiguring the system
to understand a particular type of file (acknowledging
that this can make diffs ineffective...)

E.g., I should be able to walk up to *any* portion
of a file hierarchy and "add/checkin" the entire
hierarchy without knowing what lies below:  "source
code" (in a variety of languages), photos, publications
(in proprietary formats), executables, etc.

I'm looking for a centralized repository -- ideally
something I can run on a *BSD host.  Clients need
to be available (or build-able) for Windows, *BSD
and Solaris.

The size of the repository should be limited solely
by the amount of disk space available.  I need to be
able to checkin objects that are ~100MB (each).  And,
performance shouldn't suffer as the repository's size
grows.  (obviously, larger objects require more time
to *process* but that should be independent of the
current repository contents)

GUI's are desirable though not essential (as long as
the command syntax isn't overly cryptic/error prone)

Prefer something FOSS but not averse to buying a commercial
solution -- *if* it (genuinely) works (I'm not fond of
waiting for bug fixes... and loathe having to *pay* for
said fixes on top of the original purchase price!)

I'm currently looking at perforce to see how well it fits
the bill...

Thx,
--don