[Tfug] OT: Phones..... Argh!

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 01:27:53 MST 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Can this be an application "startup" problem?
>
> I.e., if you were to start the app/applet AND THEN WAIT (for some
> period of time), would the device be more responsive?  I'm wondering
> if it's busy doing housekeeping, late bindings, etc. and just
> hasn't brought itself to a point where it is ready to deal with
> user I/O (and the OS is cooperating by buffering your input events
> until such time as the application can actually call for them)...
>
> Not that this (in and of itself) will do anything to improve
> performance... but, it might help understand what *might* be
> going on while the device seems "preoccupied".  And, maybe a
> clue as to how you can get it LESS "preoccupied"...

Don,

I had considered this route as well, but it seems to have only a
minimal effect.  Whether this is due to my device's underlying problem
or due more to how Android operates (normally or under memory
pressure) I can't really say.

But, as I said, it does help a little.  If I start something large and
known to be slow, such as the Amazon app store, letting it sit for
15-30 seconds before trying to use it will make it slightly more
bearable.  This doesn't always work, though.  Trying to use Firefox
tends become slower as time passes... same for the built-in Browser
app.

I'm looking forward to trying one of the Android 4.2 nightlies to see
how big a difference there is in performance, or, at least, perceived
performance.  :)

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for Palm OS  --  http://weaselreader.org