[Tfug] OT: Phones..... Argh!

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 07:11:18 MST 2013

Hi John,

[Note:  I don't use a cell phone so... ]

On 3/21/2013 3:24 AM, John Gruenenfelder wrote:

> When attempting to actually use the device, though, there can be very
> long pauses between tapping something and the device actually doing
> anything.  For example, sometimes I can try to dial a number and then
> simply wait for a good 20 seconds or so before the phone decides to
> really do it.  There is no indication that it is waiting, but if I
> were to perform other actions, such as thinking it hadn't registered
> and dialing again, these actions are all queued so when it finally
> responds it can perform numerous actions at once.  I now recognize
> this behavior so I no longer attempt to dial more than once because I
> know that once it responds it *will* actually place more than one
> call.

Can this be an application "startup" problem?

I.e., if you were to start the app/applet AND THEN WAIT (for some
period of time), would the device be more responsive?  I'm wondering
if it's busy doing housekeeping, late bindings, etc. and just
hasn't brought itself to a point where it is ready to deal with
user I/O (and the OS is cooperating by buffering your input events
until such time as the application can actually call for them)...

Not that this (in and of itself) will do anything to improve
performance... but, it might help understand what *might* be
going on while the device seems "preoccupied".  And, maybe a
clue as to how you can get it LESS "preoccupied"...

<shrug>

HTH,
--don