[Tfug] Switch problem

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 11:35:18 MST 2013

Hi Louis,

On 3/13/2013 10:09 PM, Louis Taber wrote:
> It is worth noting that the auto-negotiation signaling uses a VERY
> different protocol and line frequencies than the subsequent data
> transmission.  My guess is two GigaBit interfaces will auto-negotiate to 1
> GigaBit on a physical connection that will only support 10MegaBit.  I

Interesting.  How did you come to that conclusion?  (I have never
bothered trying to understand the magic involved -- the folks who
specify these things are way smarter than me!)  And, what do you mean
by "physical connection that will only support 10Megabit"?  I.e., as
a consequence of the *cables* being used?  (since you've already
stipulated that it is delimited by a pair of Gb interfaces)

The problem (IMO) with the SOHO devices is they don't tell you
much (by way of indications) -- and don't *expect* you to
understand what they are not telling you!  :-/

> haven't seen that one, bit I have seen an auto-negotiation to 100MegaBit on
> a line 600ft link that worked fine when forced to 10MegaBit.  The topology
> I used for a 1200ft link was a 10MegaBit (custom POE) hub in the halfway
> point.  It has worked fine for years (except when the hub got wet<sigh>).

Kinda pushing your luck on that one!  :>  Why not use fibre?