[Tfug] Switch problem

Louis Taber ltaber at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 22:09:48 MST 2013

It is worth noting that the auto-negotiation signaling uses a VERY
different protocol and line frequencies than the subsequent data
transmission.  My guess is two GigaBit interfaces will auto-negotiate to 1
GigaBit on a physical connection that will only support 10MegaBit.  I
haven't seen that one, bit I have seen an auto-negotiation to 100MegaBit on
a line 600ft link that worked fine when forced to 10MegaBit.  The topology
I used for a 1200ft link was a 10MegaBit (custom POE) hub in the halfway
point.  It has worked fine for years (except when the hub got wet <sigh>).