[Tfug] Switch problem

erich erich1 at copper.net
Mon Mar 11 22:51:42 MST 2013

I bought

     a Trendnet TEG-S80g switch, and installed it in my network. I pro-
ceded to be amazed at the speedup. I'm just a home user, and turn
everything off at nite including the switch.

     The next day troubles started when I powered up my system.
One of my boxes waited for a DHCP address that never showed
up. Tried pinging other boxen with disturbing "address unreachable"
messages. It was a struggle to preserve my sanity. For a while
it seemed that the switch had damaged the network interface of
some of my PC's. I took the new switch out of the system.

     After rebooting several machines, the system started coming
back up. "Damaged" network interfaces started working again.

     This is a high-speed switch. Is it possible that It could interact
with a network interface on a box and pull it into a state that
would remain on poweroff?

Erich