[Tfug] Eclipse add-ons

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 13:59:22 MST 2013

Hi Leo,

On 6/7/2013 7:49 AM, Leo Przybylski wrote:
> Oh sorry. I didn't realize sites had changed with p2. Looks like there
> isn't a site.xml anymore which is what I was originally thinking
> about.
>
> Here's a document on creating a mirror
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Repository_Mirroring

Ah!  Thanks, I will look at that before I go too far down this road.

> If you want to know about how a site is to be structured or built, you
> could browse it by using a user agent switcher. Most sites verify
> against the eclipse user agent. If you switch to the eclipse user
> agent, you can freely go to site urls to determine how the
> contents.xml correspond to site structure. I would imagine it to be
> intuitive though.

I don't have Eclipse running on an "exposed" (inet-connected)
machine -- so, I'm forced to browse with a regular HTML browser.
If the site doesn't expose it's contents, directly, then I
have to know the names of each file hiding there, a priori.

My workaround was to find a mirror site that was configured
to "list directory contents" -- which laid everything bare for
me to locate!  E.g., content.jar, plugins/, features/, artifacts.jar,
etc.  Then, just grab the entire contents of that portion of
the file hierarchy from the server/site.

I am hoping that I can just zip this together and present it
as an "archive" to Eclipse and let it sort out what it
needs (apparently, this particular "update site" is a
"composite" site so it contains many different versions of
the package that I'm after... perhaps I can elide those
that I am *not* interested in from the ZIP).

I'll try that later tonight -- I've got to package up the
cheesecake and drop it off before close of business today
(last day of work for a friend; nothing says "Good Bye and
Good Luck" like fat and sugar!!  :> ).

Thx!
--don