[Tfug] Small-ish (capacity + size) disk alternatives

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 02:56:43 MST 2013

Hi Tyler,

On 1/30/2013 10:12 PM, Tyler Kilian wrote:
> I put almost no thought into this.  With most manufacturers
> using SSD as an option, is it worth worrying about failures
> for something like a media PC?

Not a "media PC".  Rather, a multimedia/home automation *system*.
I.e., think of everything in your house being tied together.

So, when you go to take a shower, the washing machine pauses so it
doesn't "steal" hot water from you.  And, at the same time, the
water heater is "preconditioned" to start heating additional
water *before* the temperature "in the tank" starts to drop to
the point where the *tank's* thermostat would normally sense
the need for additional heat (influx of unheated water).

Or, when the doorbell rings, the visitor's face appears in a small
window on the television nearest your location.  And, if you aren't
home, footage of their presence -- along with a timestamp -- is
recorded and possibly forwarded to you at some remote location.

Or, if you aren't watching TV, has your voice routed to a speaker
(intercom) by the front door from wherever you happen to be at the
time.

Or, when its raining, the irrigation system shuts off and readjusts
its watering schedule (and *amounts*) based on the total observed
rainfall and the needs of your particular flora.

Or, when you walk into the bathroom for your morning toilet, the
local radio station begins playing *in* the bathroom.  And, once
you've finished there, follows you out into the kitchen.

Or, when you retire at night, makes sure the garage door is closed,
turns out the lights throughout the house, adjusts the temperature
to a more comfortable "sleeping" level, arms the perimeter alarm,
activates the outdoor surveillance cameras and arranges for the
telephone NOT to ring -- unless it is "someone special".

I.e., when the disk fails, *nothing* works.  To answer John's question:
how often would you want to replace/repair *this* sort of system?
As often as you replace your cell phone?  Or, as often as you replace
your *doorbell*?!

[Hint:  I find replacing the batteries in the smoke detectors even
only YEARLY to be a real nuisance!  If I had to replace the smoke
detectors *themselves*, I'd be looking for an alternative to smoke
detectors!]

[N.B. Smoke detectors are supposed to be replaced every *ten* years]

> I agree with John, particularly when you consider life cycle of
> hardware.  Even enterprise storage can use solid state drives.  It
> seems like the technology has progressed to the point where solid
> state for an end user is transparent.
>
> There is a price premium, maybe that's the animus?

You're thinking in terms of "computers", not "appliances".  Do you
replace your TV, table radio, stereo, DVD player, DVR, etc. every
"year or two"?  Or, "when they break"?  If they broke every year or
two, how happy would you be with your purchases?  And, the time
spent shopping for their replacements/repairs?  :>