[Tfug] tfug Digest, Vol 114, Issue 27

shanna leonard ssl at email.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 30 23:11:59 MST 2013

On 1/30/13 8:17 PM, tfug-request at tfug.org wrote:
> ------------------------------ Message: 3 Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013
> 17:58:09 -0800

> From: Yan <zardus at gmail.com> To: Tucson Free Unix Group
> <tfug at tfug.org> Subject: Re: [Tfug] Small-ish (capacity + size) disk
> alternatives Message-ID:
> <CAM2PWtDTtLn7f2FCGrq8fvx9Xq2w68F4uS+wQQXCFuwmq5tD-A at mail.gmail.com>
> You're describing dynamic wear leveling, whereas I think pretty much any
> SSD worth its salt nowadays uses static wear leveling (see,
> http://thessdguy.com/how-controllers-maximize-ssd-life-better-wear-leveling/).
> Although
> for all I know, that might not apply to the smaller, cheaper ones.
>

>> (similarly, assuming you could write to the *entire* media "at will",
>> you're looking at 80 weeks).
>
> With the price of SSDs nowadays (provided that they do support static wear
> leveling), that might not be too bad, and possibly not too much more
> expensive (and if trends continue, might even be cheaper soon).
>
> - Yan

Thanks for the link -- .  Just to throw something in here... to increase
longevity, you can  "over provision" IE partition the drive and leave a
portion of it unused.
http://thessdguy.com/how-controllers-maximize-ssd-life-over-provisioning/ This
can dramatically increase the longevity.  see also wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification#Over-provisioning
per ssdguy:
"
for standard MLC NAND flash, 45% over provisioning will give you about
twice the drive life of 20% over provisioning, and 75% over provisioning
will extend the disk's life to three times.  A full 100% over
provisioning won't get you quite as far as four times the drive life,
but it comes close.

I like the price point for reliabiity of the intel 320's - I'm planning
to use them in a ZFS-based storage server soon, and I fully expect that
if I over-provision the Zil (ZFS Intent Log - caches writes) by 100% I
will have it last  a couple of years.. Which is all I would count on
from a hard-drive anyway.

discussion: http://communities.intel.com/thread/22252

Here's another related link
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p400e-review-endurance,3199-2.html