[Tfug] Small-ish (capacity + size) disk alternatives

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 22:46:04 MST 2013

Hi,

My home automation/multimedia system relies on a single
smallish (20-30G) disk for "read only" (i.e., binaries)
storage as well as "bulk" read-write memory (i.e., 30G
of RAM would be costly, bulky and power hungry -- and
far faster than necessary).

Currently, I've been using small laptop drives.  They
don't see much use (thrashing, etc.) but are spinning
365/24/7.

It appears this is not the way they like to operate
(i.e., they seem to die pretty easily).  Heat shouldn't
be a problem -- enclosures are cool and well ventilated.
I'm just guessing they don't like running "forever"
with no chance to spin down (or off).

So, what alternatives do I have to replace them?  Larger
(physically) drives run hotter, draw more power, etc.
SSD's would probably fail in short order due to the
inherent media life limitations (the read-write uses for
the disk involve lots of update cycles).  I can't think
of any other options (?).  Perhaps I will have to resort
to gobs of RAM after all...  :(

Thx,
--don