[Tfug] OT: Plumbing

Timothy D. Lenz tlenz at vorgon.com
Fri Feb 22 17:32:08 MST 2013

On 2/21/2013 9:53 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> I thought "filters" didn't really affect the mineral content of the
> water.  Rather, dealt with odor, clarity, bacteria, toxins, chlorine,
> etc. (e.g., it is wise to install one upstream of a traditional
> softener to protect the resin from the active chlorine).

It gets the chunks out. And after a few months, it has gone from white
to kind of brown. Chunks of rust, alkali, etc..

>> We also have a charcoal prefilter after the partical filter or
>> the water smells like a swimming pool.
>
> Hmmm... I am guessing water in individual parts of town doesn't
> all "come from the same place"?  (if not, then how is *my* water
> supply "treated" to yield the same quality level as *yours*?)

I know the water on the southwest side around A mountain and south is
really bad. If you don't have a bleed off pump on your cooler there, the
water pump doesn't last long. So water is not the same everywhere. It's
a mix of water from a local pump and whatever else the city can get. We
used to have a pumping station just a block away, but I think it's been
shut down. Some 25 years ago, they brought in a drill to make it deeper.
They where already at 1000' down. The amount of clorine added likely
depends on the water quality in the area and how much has out gassed
from the cap supply.