[Tfug] OT: Plumbing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 23:36:24 MST 2013

Hi Timothy,

On 2/20/2013 4:40 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
> A few years ago when we put in a saltless water softener it was at
> ~80psi here near swan and speedway. Regulators I was told are now
> required for new houses.

I have no idea what the "water infrastructure" looks like
for the city -- i.e., distribution map.  But, we are pretty
low -- probably one of the lowest points in town.  E.g., the
other end of our *short* street is probably 30-50 feet higher
in elevation than we are.  So, I would expect static pressure
to be about 10-20 psi lower than it is, here.

I imagine the city has increased distribution pressure over the
years to accommodate expanded development (without having to
lay more/larger pipe).  And will probably continue as the
city keeps trying to squeeze more out of less...

How has your experience been with the water softener?  We have
been hesitant to opt for a sodium-based softener out of concern
for all that extra sodium it would introduce into the potable
water (our tap seems to be at ~170 ppm CaCO3 so that would add
~250mg of "salt" to my daily water consumption... on top of the
~200mg already *in* the water!)

[We haven't explored the potassium option, yet.  And, RO seems
to be really inefficient in its water "waste" rate]

Do you actually *notice* a difference in softness?  My
understanding was that those units only temporarily soften the
water.  I.e., you'd also have to add one on the output of the
hot water heater to gain any advantage in the *hot* water
(unless you also have a tankless hot water heater).

--don