[Tfug] Recommendations for hassle free desktop wireless card

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed Apr 10 13:56:53 MST 2013

On 10 Apr 2013, Harry McGregor wrote:
> If this is for a desktop, I might be more inclined to get a
> router that can be set as a client bridge (either in default
> firmware, or with dd-wrt, tomato, etc).
>
> That way you have wired ethernet ports at the desktop location,
> for use with other networked devices (Raspberry pi, printers,
> etc), and you don't have to worry about a card being "linux"
> supported, since you will actually be on a wired network that
> is wirelessly connected to the rest of your network.

I had considered this initially, but I started getting confused
trying to figure out which routers supported this natively. And I
did not want to go down the path of using dd-wrt or tomato, but
that was primarily because I have no experience with either.

But I guess I should reconsider that.

Is tomato as easy as they claim it is? For something that I don't
work on frequently, ease of configuration is a must have.

--
Glen