[Tfug] Recommendations for hassle free desktop wireless card

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 01:39:34 MST 2013

Yes, I typically run either testing at work or a mix of
testing/unstable (with a tiny bit of experimental tossed in) at home.
>From my point of view, if you know enough to use Debian comfortably
then there is essentially zero reason to avoid testing.  Of course, if
you are not comfortable frequently updating packages or dealing with
the very infrequent system breakage, then you should probably avoid
levels above stable.

That said, I do have an off-site file server (also used for work) that
I have Debian/stable running on.  I made this choice because it sees
very little interactive use and I wanted as much guarantee as possible
that the machine would be stable and secure (and still be running
Debian).

As for kernels, the current version in testing is 3.2.0-4, no doubt
with a lot of distro patches.  I believe this is also the only kernel
available in unstable.  However, if you add the experimental
repository into the mix, which nicely defaults to lowest priority and
therefore will not override or automatically install any packages, you
get access to much more recent kernels.  At home I was using 3.5 for
some time and now I have switched to 3.8.5-1.

The 3.8 kernel needed some tweaking, though, mostly in the area of
input devices.  This kernel appears to default to far more power
saving than earlier versions.  My Logitech G9 mouse did not care for
the USB autosuspend feature.  I found out recently that one of the
newer power management tools, TLP, defaults to disabling many power
management features specifically on input devices (HID).

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for Palm OS  --  http://weaselreader.org