[Tfug] Patch cords

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Sun Sep 30 13:55:29 MST 2012

On 9/30/12 12:48 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi Tyler,
>
> --- On Sun, 9/30/12, Tyler Kilian <vaca at grazeland.com> wrote:
>
>> I think you are over complicating this.  I wouldn't worry about
>> "abuse" on any cable scenario you mentioned.  You can make a custom
>> cable without worry if better suits your needs.
> I have been *regularly* admonished against making cables!  Hence
> my hesitance to rush into making 70+ of them without some confidence
> that this approach *won't* give me headaches down the road!  I
> figure that's got to be AT LEAST a full day's work (measure,
> cut, strip, feather, trim, crimp, strip, feather, trim, crimp,
> install -- times 70)
Yes, it's time intensive
> (It's one thing to spend extra time/effort/money to *reduce*
> downstream problems; quite another to "spend" and get *worse*
> results!)
>
> So, my question is:  What is the source of these admonitions
> against rolling your own cables?  "Urban legend"?  "It's not
> worth your time"?  "It's more expensive than store-bought"?
> "Mistakenly using solid core wire in lieu of stranded"?  "They
> fail due to inadequate strain-relief/crimp contacts"? etc.

It's normally not worth it if you have proper cable management or if
it's a "user" side cable.

If it will help with cable management to have custom cables then it is
worth it.

IMHO, only use stranded cat5e/cat6 and use the clear RJ45 connectors
(for stranded).  IF you don't need a 1000 foot box of stranded, buy a
100' patch cable or two, and cut it up.

If your really worried about stress on the connection, you can add epoxy
to the connector AFTER crimping.

As far as "cheap" pre-made cables, I would strongly suggest
www.monoprice.com

-Harry