[Tfug] Patch cords

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 12:48:00 MST 2012

Hi Tyler,

--- On Sun, 9/30/12, Tyler Kilian <vaca at grazeland.com> wrote:

> I think you are over complicating this.  I wouldn't worry about
> "abuse" on any cable scenario you mentioned.  You can make a custom
> cable without worry if better suits your needs.

I have been *regularly* admonished against making cables!  Hence
my hesitance to rush into making 70+ of them without some confidence
that this approach *won't* give me headaches down the road!  I
figure that's got to be AT LEAST a full day's work (measure,
cut, strip, feather, trim, crimp, strip, feather, trim, crimp,
install -- times 70)

(It's one thing to spend extra time/effort/money to *reduce*
downstream problems; quite another to "spend" and get *worse*
results!)

So, my question is:  What is the source of these admonitions
against rolling your own cables?  "Urban legend"?  "It's not
worth your time"?  "It's more expensive than store-bought"?
"Mistakenly using solid core wire in lieu of stranded"?  "They
fail due to inadequate strain-relief/crimp contacts"? etc.

--don