[Tfug] Static/Dynamic (IP,name) bindings

Nathan Hruby nhruby at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:20:48 MST 2012

That sounds really complicated.  Why not just make the DHCP server
update DNS vis DDNS using a preshared key?  Examples:
- http://www.semicomplete.com/articles/dynamic-dns-with-dhcp/
- http://hackerific.net/2007/12/24/dynamic-dns-with-dhcp-and-bind-9/

Yes, a rouge DHCP server could still poison your clients and do bad
things.  If you believe that's an attack vector that you're at risk
for, using WPA-enterprise on private WIFi, captive portals + traffic
limiting on public networks, port-based security / mac filtering,
802.11x, and good old good physical security are good things to do to
limit your risks.  Most of these features are available on
out-of-the-box consumer grade network hardware and only require a
minimal amount of setup (some features assume you have things like
ldap or radius available and may not be immediately useful).

HTH,

-n