[Tfug] Static/Dynamic (IP,name) bindings

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 20:08:40 MST 2012

Hi Robert,

--- On Thu, 9/13/12, Robert Hunter <hunter at tfug.org> wrote:

> > Yes, but that would only be common in enterprise scenarios.
> > I suspect you won't find any SOHO kit with those features!
>
> Your "SOHO" argument doesn't exactly hold up.  Support for features
> like VLANs, and firewalls are available on many consumer-grade routers
> -- if not out-of-the-box, then possibly via custom firmware, (e.g.,
> DD-WRT, or Tomato).  You could also roll-your-own (e.g., an Intel box
> + NIC(s) + your favorite "unix"), or shop around for some old
> enterprise gear.

Sure!  But that assumes you have the skillset necessary to do
this.  And, are willing to discard your existing kit in order
to replace it with something with these capabilities.

And, it still isn't a guaranteed fix.  E.g., plug the device in
question directly into that laptop (or, use a dual-NIC laptop
as a bridge) and the fancy switch doesn't help you at all!
Once the code is loaded, remove the laptop and sneak back out
of the house "innocently".

> > You wouldn't want to run the risk of someone (friend/foe)
> > surreptitiously installing a new image in your HVAC controller
> > just by plugging in a rogue host that tricks the controller
> > into accepting a new image from *it* instead of the *real*
> > image server...
>
> I would start by reducing the exposure of your utility
> network.

Yes.  But, again, that assumes the consumer is aware of this
risk, understands it and is willing to invest the time and
money to make those changes.  "Why can't I keep things the
way they are?"

How many folks *actively* worry about their internet exposure?
Or, information leaks from their cell phones?  etc.

> > It seems that the only "safe" way of doing this is to use
> > a more secure protocol.
>
> Probably overkill.  However, I agree that many commonly used
> networking protocols are showing their age.  And security is one of
> those things that needs to be addressed at a more fundamental level.
> It's a matter of the "common case" changing.  Twenty years ago, if
> you were running a computer network at home, you were probably
> one savvyguy.  These days you risk annoying your guests if you
> don't have WiFi.

And, there is a growing confidence and acceptance of smart
devices in and around the home.  Would you want to do anything
*more* than plug in your new, Internet-enabled thermostat?  Or,
would you piss and moan when you opened the box and found a
long-winded discussion about how, as a new, proud owner of
the Thermo9000, you also had to make the following changes to
your infrastructure before you could *use* it?

> And then you have to worry about those people who call themselves
> "friends", but given the opportunity, would hack your home automation
> systems.  Sigh.

Or, folks who don't understand the consequences of their actions,
malicious or otherwise.

I.e., today, finding homes with this level of automation is
pretty hard.  Security by obscurity is almost a viable approach!
(No, not really!).

But, once this sort of thing is more commonplace, I don't
doubt you won't see the same sort of "problems" like folks
joy(war)riding on open access points because their owners
didn't think to change the SSID from "linksys" to something
else, etc.

If, OTOH, you make the product itself inherently secure,
then you avoid these issues.  Sure, you don't make life
any better for the workstations/equipment that still rely
on legacy protocols.  But, that's not *your* (my) goal!

(There are still a bunch of threats that have to be addressed.
But, this closes up a whole family of "problems" that would
have represented "low hanging fruit" to a would-be rogue
actor)

--don