[Tfug] Patch cords

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 29 16:04:12 MST 2012

Hi,

I don't have much space for "service loops" in patch cords.
Whether those loops are by design or a simple consequence
of the patch cord(s) being "a wee bit longer" than necessary.

How *bad* is it to fabricate each of these as their
*actual* required lengths?  I wouldn't consider this
for a general purpose cord that is likely to be plugged,
unplugged, relocated, etc.

But, when used in a relatively static configuration
connecting patch panel to switch, is there little enough
abuse that even hand-made cords are acceptable?

(stranded wire, boots, etc.)

Or, should I just find a place to tuck away any excess
length from COTS cords?

*Or*, have them *made* for me?

Thanks!
--don