[Tfug] USB3 *PCI* card

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 20 01:56:19 MST 2012

Hi John,

--- On Fri, 10/19/12, John Hubbard <ender8282 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Pointers to 4 port (ideally) USB3 cards that are *PCI*
> > (not PCI-E)?

> Any reason opposition to a 2 port card, and a hub?

Just one more thing (and one more cable) to have to deal with
in a very small space.  <frown>  Currently, I mount all my
USB2 hubs to the undersides/backsides of cabinets, benches,
desks, etc -- just to get them out of the way.  And, you're
stuck with whatever length of cable the manufacturer(s)
provide (i.e., I can't fabricate a reliable, 17 inch cable
like I can for CAT5, SCSI, serial, etc.).  So, you end up
with a wad of wire that needs to go someplace -- not bad if
you can mount the devices/hub some distance apart but tedious
if they are all colocated adjacent to each other!

[As an aside, anyone have an old-style (silver/gray) DUB-H7
they want to part with?]

> Otherwise the only thing that I found was [1].  It is
> out of stock, and doesn't list Linux/BSD as a supported OS,
> but it might be supported...
>
> [1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815201060&name=Add-On-Cards

Thanks!  I had only found 2-port cards.  Depending on the
silicon they use, I can probably tweek the FreeBSD driver
to support it.

--don