[Tfug] Need urgent help repairing a video file...and yeah, it's a Linux issue...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 10:58:34 MST 2012

Folks,

I have a broken .mp4 file on my hands that is critically important to a
political thing I'm doing.

The file is at:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1825088/ScytlBaltimore.mp4

I've tried using a front-end to ffmeg called "format junkie" to fix this
critter and the error it spits out is "moov atom not found".  This
apparently means the data might be there, but the video format structure
does exist.

Some google-fu led me to this page:

http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/~ponchio/untrunc.php

Awesome!  An open-source util that can cope with this.

Problems though...

It needs "libavformat-dev and libavcodec-dev straight from the Ubuntu
repositories" and the Quantal that I'm running (latest Ubuntu) can't load
those per Synaptic - not without a lot of dependency hell stuff that might
break FSM only knows what.

I have a VM copy of Mint 8 that might, but I can't seem to get Virtualbox
to pass it networking so that I could load those and load the
build-essentials stuff needed to compile this critter.

Can anybody help by compiling untrunc and then applying it to that data
file!?  I'd be very, very grateful :(.

Thanks,

Jim