[Tfug] NAS suggestions

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Sun Oct 14 10:37:34 MST 2012

Hi,

Disk on wire type stuff, you would want to look at either ATAoE or
iSCSI, which are both block level.

I suspect you probably want file system on wire, which would be NFS or CIFS.

If your willing to throw a lot of CPU and memory at the problem to
reduce the amount of actual disk, I would look at SDFS (www.opendedupe.org).

Do you want the drives hot swap/front accessible?

I prefer ECC in server applications.   Also eSATA can work quite well
with a SATA multiplier.

As far as drives go, I would look at 5400RPM HGST drives (now owned by
WD) or 7200RPM WD Black.

Larger the better to start with, either 3x3TB or 3x4TB in Raid5 would be
a good starting point.

-Harry