[Tfug] NAS suggestions

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 04:30:39 MST 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for a NAS to use, here.
> Primarily to keep *large* dataset snapshots "offline,
> but easily accessible".

How much redundancy do you need?

By offline, you mean "I only turn it on when I need to get at the
data" correct?

> In the latter case, am I better off with just a
> junk/spare PC, USB3 card, GB NIC and "however many
> disk trays I can support"?  Or, something more
> targeted to this sort of application?

This will give you more flexibility going forward than whatever OS
will be unsupported by the NAS vendor next year.

If you're going to buy new, I really like the HP Microserver hardware
- 4x 3.5" trays, low power CPU, ECC RAM, decent price.

- Zack