[Tfug] NAS suggestions

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 01:08:29 MST 2012

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for a NAS to use, here.
Primarily to keep *large* dataset snapshots "offline,
but easily accessible".

Ideally, CIFS/HTTP/FTP/NFS accessible -- though I can
obviously live with some subset of those.

Are there cheap/good/reliable/whatever COTS solutions
that will give me some flexibility in the media used
(e.g., internal vs. external)?  Or, if I want that,
do I need to roll my own?

In the latter case, am I better off with just a
junk/spare PC, USB3 card, GB NIC and "however many
disk trays I can support"?  Or, something more
targeted to this sort of application?

Thx,
--don