[Tfug] Providers?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 23:50:52 MST 2012

Hi Keith,

On 11/17/2012 10:20 AM, keith smith wrote:
> I've used both consumer Cox and business Cox.  I have had no problem
> with either.  I've used them in Metro Phoenix (6 years) and Tucson
> (4 years).

OK.  I think I can safely say I've *never* had (paid for) CATV
(the caveat being one apartment building in which I lived that provided
free cable to all apartments)

> Currently I have a business account that allows me to run a server.
> It cost about $25 more than the consumer product.

I won't run any services out of the house.  I'll colo that
when the time comes (I don't want to deal with the maintenance
issues, etc.)

> I have my phone with them also.  Phone cost is low.  It is the taxes
> that make the phone so expensive.

Ah!  That answers one question!  (i.e., were the outrageous
PSTN charges also present on "internet phone" accounts!  :-/ )

> I get unlimited national calling and voice mail... etc.

In the past, we've purchased $20 phone cards from costco
(700 minutes/$19.99).  They expire before we use them up.
I think they are good for 6 mos once activated?  So, we
spend < 2 hrs a month on long distance... I'll bet the
actual number is more like 20 minutes!!  :-/  I.e., we
probably won't be buying the cards any more (we previously
had out-of-town family but no longer)

Voice mail is handled by an answering machine (which also
allows us to screen calls).  I'll migrate that to an all
software implementation so I can have it do the screening
*for* us -- so the phone doesn't even ring unless it is
someone we want to talk to (or *NOT*!  :> )

> Distinct ringing is $2/mo, which allows me to have a fax
> number for $2/mo. If a fax comes through while on the phone,
> it goes to voice mail.  I can then have it sent to my fax number.

Ah, OK.  We have only used FAX twice in the past 20 years
(for legal documents).  Most everything else gets shipped
around as an email attachment.

> All together I think I pay $118 a month for Internet and Phone.

Yikes!  I think our bill is $45.

> Seems kind of pricy, however I am on a business plan that allows
> me to run one or more servers with NO blocked ports AND I went
> with a higher up and down transfer rate AND I have unlimited
> domestic long distance.

Our "problem" is that we aren't "consumers" (in the literal sense
of the word) so there's very little incentive for vendors to
provide plans that target us.  They're more interested in the
$100+ market (the idea of spending $1200 after tax dollars for
a phone and internet connection is anathema to us... we'd rather
have an equivalent amount of unpaid vacation and live without it!
<grin>  Different strokes, of course...)

> Looks like they are running a special right now.  If you have a
> cellular and you do not talk much then that is the way I would go.

My other half carries a prepaid cell phone as an "emergency phone"
("Don, I'm at the corner of WALK and DON'T WALK and I've got a flat
tire...").  She spends less than $100/year for that (and has to
*remember* to "use it or lose it").

> I know several people who have vonage, however I see their pricing
> has increased and they require a contract.   The nice thing about
> vonage, from my understanding is you can take it with you.  You
> phone number is the same no mater where you go, as long as you can
> plug it into an internet connection.

Google voice has a similar feature (free).  In either case, you
need the internet connection before the phone makes sense...

> I should also say I has Quest Dial up and DSL about 10 years ago and
> had no problem with them.

We've seen a few outages (wee hours of the morning when I suspect
they don't think anyone notices  :> ).  The service has been
"acceptable" -- at $20/month.  It isn't worth the non-discounted
rate they would like us to swallow.  :-/  I.e., the difference
between how quickly my email is served up is largely independent
of the alleged connection speed.  As I said previously, I could
probably live with a dialup (non-DSL) line and just let the
mail queue locally while being sent (we don't download music,
video, etc.)

> My main problem was with their router that would over heat.

Yes, the wireless adapter is the problem.  I noticed early on
that the modem was hanging and reseting periodically.  Turned
off the wireless adapter (we don't use it, anyway) and that
problem went away.

Thanks for your comments.  I'll look at their web site and get
The Straight Dope.

--don