[Tfug] Raspberry Pi PC

der.hans TFUG at LuftHans.com
Thu Jan 12 12:23:22 MST 2012

Am 12. Jan, 2012 schwätzte erich so:

> Time was when we wanted the computing power.
>   Now 700mhz is acceptable because everything is now done
> in the cloud. But wait. They want this to be a development platform.
> Don't you need major processing capability to do compiling/building?

CPU power vs time. More resources generally means less time. Less
resources generally just means more time.

In any case, the Raspberry Pi is meant as an educational platform.
Development projects probably won't be all that big, but the environments
might use a lot of resources.

Out of the FAQ:

###
Our main function is a charitable one – we’re trying to build the cheapest
possible computer that provides a certain basic level of functionality,
and this means we’ve had to make hard decisions about what hardware and
interfaces to include.
###

###
What SoC are you using?
The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. This contains an ARM1176JZFS, with floating
point, running at 700Mhz, and a Videocore 4 GPU. The GPU is capable of
BluRay quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast 3D core
accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries.
###

It's running similar to phones and tablets. My two year old phone is much
more powerful than many of the computers I've owned.

In any case, I'm not planning on a mega-powerful system. I am willing to
be pleasantly surprised :).

My current interests are for setting up come inexpensive general computing
stuff for a daycare where the $35 price tag is far more valuable than a
powerful system. Some systems will be educational software for the kids.
Others ( which might be Zotacs more for the larger form factor ) will be
for parental units that don't have Internet access at home. Office systems
will probably be Zotacs, but if Raspberry Pi will work, then that would be
awesome.

If the Raspberry Pi works, then we will also be encouraging parents to
purchase them for home use.

I'm also tracking the FXI Cotton Candy.

http://www.gizmag.com/fxi-cotton-candy/20548/

ciao,

der.hans
#  SCaLE10x: January 20-22 2012 http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale10x/
#  ABLEconf: Saturday, March 24th 2012 @ UAT in Tempe http://www.ABLEconf.com/
#  kill telnet, long live ssh - der.hans