[Tfug] Tablets

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 20:38:21 MST 2012

Hi Zack,

--- On Mon, 8/27/12, Zack Williams <zdwzdw at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Made a github repo of the files required though:
> >> https://github.com/zdw/chumby-oe

> I grabbed the repo and shoved a bunch of hardware documentation into
> it that I also had sitting around for this.  High resolution annotated
> images of the board, manuals for the processor, etc.   Hopefully
> you'll find some of it useful.

Cool!  I'll take a look at it later this evening.  Thanks!

Are you in town?  I'm curious if I can take a peek at yours
to see what it's like before "taking the plunge"... (e.g.,
touch panel feel, video performance, etc.)

> > I am concerned that it doesn't have enough horsepower *or*

[I'll retract this.  It originated in my confusion over the
different devices being discussed, here]

> > basic resources (e.g., RAM) to stream video, etc.  Have you
> > ever tried viewing a video (from any particular container/codec)?
>
> Nope, but the CPU's product brief claims support for quite a
> few common codecs.

OK, even better!  I'd been planning on having to implement one
entirely in software w/o any hardware assist.  (though that
biases the choices I will have for the CODEC  :-/ )

> > <frown>  Don't understand why that should diminish their value
> > but... <shrug>
>
> They never really caught on.  The interface wasn't that great,
> especially on the older units, and the market timing and pricing was
> wrong.

>From John's comments, I now understand that the device didn't
exist in a vacuum.  Sort of like buying a radio and discovering
that it only plays Myron Floren music  :-/

> Here's interview with Bunnie who did the hardware design on
> how it all went down:
>
> http://blog.makezine.com/2012/04/30/makes-exclusive-interview-with-andrew-bunnie-huang-the-end-of-chumby-new-adventures/

Actually very insightful!  I will have to reread it, later.
I'd think software folks would find it amusing to see the
*real* effect pricing has on the hardware choices that we
make when we design stuff.  "Are you crazy?  That'll cost
almost 25c!"

--don