[Tfug] Tablets

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 19:43:31 MST 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Zack,
>> Made a github repo of the files required though:
>> https://github.com/zdw/chumby-oe
>
> I will probably just peel off the drivers and use them as
> "documentation" for the hardware.  Then, port my own OS onto
> it.  Though being able to boot something out-of-the-box
> would help when it comes to some rough performance
> qualification, etc.

I grabbed the repo and shoved a bunch of hardware documentation into
it that I also had sitting around for this.  High resolution annotated
images of the board, manuals for the processor, etc.   Hopefully
you'll find some of it useful.

> I am concerned that it doesn't have enough horsepower *or*
> basic resources (e.g., RAM) to stream video, etc.  Have you
> ever tried viewing a video (from any particular container/codec)?

Nope, but the CPU's product brief claims support for quite a few common codecs.

> <frown>  Don't understand why that should diminish their value
> but... <shrug>

They never really caught on.  The interface wasn't that great,
especially on the older units, and the market timing and pricing was
wrong.  Here's interview with Bunnie who did the hardware design on
how it all went down:

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/04/30/makes-exclusive-interview-with-andrew-bunnie-huang-the-end-of-chumby-new-adventures/

- Zack