[Tfug] Tablets

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:01:17 MST 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hmmm... interesting device!  But, looking at a variety of
> photos, it's unclear whether or not this is a tablet-ish
> device sitting in a dock *or* if the "base" is a permanent
> part of it?  I.e., in the latter case, it would be problematic
> to mount it to a wall.  Granted, you could surgically remove
> the base but one has to assume the manufacturer is using
> that volume for "guts"!  :-/

I have two of these (bought on fire sale from a BB), and took one
apart.  The circuit board is at the bottom just to allow space for
speakers and to set the angle of the display.  There's no real "guts"
other than that, so making the panel and circuit board parallel
wouldn't be difficult, in my recollection.

The chumby codename for the device is "silvermoon" - more info here:
http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Main_Page

I built openembedded on one of mine, but then other stuff came up and
I probably didn't touch it for the last few years.  Made a github repo
of the files required though:  https://github.com/zdw/chumby-oe

> Is there any reason *why* they are cheap RIGHT NOW?
> (obsolescent, new model introduction, problems, etc.)

Chumby is going/went out of business.

- Zack