[Tfug] Tablets

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 11:11:09 MST 2012

Hi John,

--- On Sun, 8/26/12, John Kiniston <johnkiniston at gmail.com> wrote:

> How about going with a 8 inch Chumby or Infocast?
>
> http://compare.ebay.com/like/150871420998?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Hmmm... interesting device!  But, looking at a variety of
photos, it's unclear whether or not this is a tablet-ish
device sitting in a dock *or* if the "base" is a permanent
part of it?  I.e., in the latter case, it would be problematic
to mount it to a wall.  Granted, you could surgically remove
the base but one has to assume the manufacturer is using
that volume for "guts"!  :-/

> They are cheap right now, Especially the Infocast
> clone.

Is there any reason *why* they are cheap RIGHT NOW?
(obsolescent, new model introduction, problems, etc.)

> Chumby supports USB to Ethernet adapters too: http://www.chumby.com/pages/help_req_ethernet
>
> I have recently seen someone port webkit to them
> so your not tied completely to the flash based widget
> model.

As with other offerings, I don't see the sources available
for the kernel (i.e., drivers) anywhere.  That would allow
me to repurpose it as best fits my needs...

I also noticed some comments regarding usability issues with
its touchscreen -- though those comments lack much precision.
I'm guessing the screen is only effective for "taps".  E.g.,
perhaps poorly suited for gestural input?

And, some mention of an even *smaller* device -- 3.5"?
That would have been worth investigating had I not settled
on a different user interface modality already!  :<

Thanks, I'll see what more I can find.  They seem to be
cheap enough that I might just buy one to throw away...

--don