[Tfug] USB hang

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 12:29:17 MST 2012

So now its my turn: came home to find a (2 months old max) Cisco cable
modem with a non-functioning Ethernet port and a laptop that won't power on.

I really have no question about these machines, as I assume I'm the victim
of a power surge. The laptop was in its' "declining years" anyway. Oddly,
other machines on the same power strips weren't affected, so perhaps its
just a coincidence.

My actual question is: is this something to be expected from Tucson's power
infrastructure and/or lightning storms? I've lived here for a long time and
haven't really had problems like this before, so maybe I've just been lucky.

Zack