[Tfug] A really, really interesting job opportunity...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 11:25:31 MST 2012

>>why would people still register as 'crats or 'cans?<<

To steer the party that's possible "steerable" in your direction in the
primaries, or if you're really doing it right, in internal party politics.

In California (2005 and prior) I was registered Republican, but a member of
something called the "Republican Liberty Caucus" known more commonly as
"Ron Paul Republicans" even back in '96 when I joined.  This is a thing - a
movement to steer the Repubs in a libertarian direction.

Now that I'm in AZ I register full-on Libertarian, and in fact I'm an LP
county party officer.

Why the difference?  Well it actually comes down to computer security.

In AZ, only political parties have the right to observe elections.  So if
the Dems and Repubs ain't doing it right, it's critical that the LP and
Greens be able to pick up the slack.  To do that, they have to have "ballot
access" which means a certain number of people registered.

I've personally helped run some of the LP voter registration drives, just
so they can stay on the ballot so I can get appointed as an LP election
observer, so I can monitor electronic voting.

Sigh.

Anyways.  Once you understand this about the minor parties, registering
"Independent" is dumb.

Jim