[Tfug] OT: Android tablet display size

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 07:09:30 MST 2012

Hello,

I hope you don't mind the OT tablet question, but people on this list are
quite technical and I'm sure more than a few have a tablet.

I found a really good deal on a Skypad Alpha 2 tablet.  Looking at the
specs, it's pretty good.  Roughly on par with my Droid 3 phone, except with
a single core CPU and less built-in storage space.

I'm mostly wondering about the display.  It has a 7" 800x600 display.
That's really close to my phone except physically larger.  The problem is
that I don't really have any experience with tablets.  Is this a reasonable
size?  Will Android do the right thing and scale the visuals so that I can,
for example, fit more on the tablet's home screen than I can on the phone?
If it matters, it comes with Android 2.3 and there is an Android 4.0 update
already available.

The sale price is $125, so obviously I'm not expecting all the bells and
whistles of, say, a Galaxy tablet or an iPad.  If anybody else is
interested, I found the deal on Google Offers and it's good until the end
of today:

https://www.google.com/offers/home?st=!details%2F3da7dafd22a581aa%2FKTSKM72JMNCI3XNL&utm_source=social&utm_medium=soc-hub&utm_campaign=gplus&utm_content=KTSKM72JMNCI3XNL#!details/3da7dafd22a581aa/KTSKM72JMNCI3XNL

My only major complaint with the specs is that they left out Bluetooth
support and I actually have a few BT devices I like to use.  Maybe somebody
on TFUG knows the answer...  is it possible to use a USB Bluetooth dongle
with an Android device?  Clearly, if it was just Linux the answer would be
yes, but Android uses a heavily modified Linux base.

--John Gruenenfelder
Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS -- http://weaselreader.org
"This is the most fun I've had without being drenched in the blood of my
enemies!"
--Sam of Sam & Max