[Tfug] Laptop options

Claude Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Fri Nov 18 18:08:08 MST 2011

[Whoops, I accidentally directed my reply off-list.  Moving it back
onto the list.]

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 05:26:19PM -0700, Adrian wrote:
> On Friday 18 November 2011 16:49, you wrote:
> > Have you looked into Thinkpads?  I know that Lenovo's also moving to
> > widescreen, but Thinkpads tend to be conservative, so they may still
> > have some with traditional screens.
> >
> > Also, if you're willing to buy 1 or 2 generations old, that should
> > open your options significantly.
> >

> Yep.. I have. Lenovo kept a few standard screens (last in the T series as I
> recall) up until 2009, then axed those as well. The forums are full of people
> complaining that they did it and that the displays are useless for business
> types.. that nobody gives a crap about watching a movie on their work laptop.
>
> According to Lenovo, I should be buying the 15" 1366x738 on virutally all
> their current offerings because it is glossy and oh so much better than my
> current 15" 1400x1050... I have one work laptop at that resolution already
> and it is close to useless for doing anything requiring portrait layout work,
> or having more than one window open at a time for that matter.
>
> At this point I may go and buy an old HP 6000-series or IBM T43.

If you know anybody who works for IBM, you might be able to take
advantage of their employee purchase program.  As I understand it, IBM
is pretty generous with it and encourages their employees to share it.
I got my current T60 (Lenovo-branded, but 4:3 screen at 1400x1050)
through it for just a couple of hundred dollars.  The machines are
inspected and certified; the main limitation is that they only have a
30 day warranty.

Claude