[Tfug] sun java + apt-get tomcat?

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:33:13 MST 2011

Ammon,

My first suggestion was going to be the equivs package, but it seems you
have already run across it.  Perhaps there is bettee documentation for it
on the Net somewhere?

Or, as Nathan suggests, you could try rolling your own.  In Debian, the
package is called java-package and will debify the Sun tarballs for you.  I
used to use it in the past and it was quite easy.  But, that was some time
ago and I do not know if it is still working or available for Ubuntu.

Is using the OpenJDK entirely out of the question in this case?  I have not
yet, personally, run into any issues working with it... but I haven't used
it much with Tomcat either.  Do they not play well together?

-- John Gruenenfelder