[Tfug] sun java + apt-get tomcat?

Ammon Lauritzen allaryin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:46:14 MST 2011

Howdy. I've got a puzzle that's starting to get on my nerves ;)

Current builds of Ubuntu no longer provide sun-java6 packages (yay
licensing garbage).

I am deploying tomcat servers via Ubuntu and have to target Sun Java (can't
run OpenJDK in production).

This wouldn't be much of a problem as I can just download the binary from
Oracle and run alternatives to manage symlinks just fine. I can run java
applications with an up-to-date jre without any problems. However,
alternatives does not do enough. Ie, dpkg doesn't recognize the existence
of /usr/bin/java as the same thing as java-common being installed.

So... once I install java manually, I can't use apt-get to install tomcat.

My options appear to be:
1 - Continue using older java packages until Ubuntu removes them from the
archive (and acknowledge that I'm running old libraries in production).
2 - Give up on apt-get entirely and manage tomcat by hand as well.
3 - Fake it.

I've never done much voodoo with package management. It appears that there
is an old equivs package that creates fake debs for this sort of case, but
the documentation is remarkably unhelpful.

Any suggestions?

--
Ammon Lauritzen