[Tfug] [SOLVED] Distrob that's set up to use webcams with flash

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Wed May 18 14:05:05 MST 2011

Hi,

I got the webcam working with the flash based video chat rooms. Before I
explain how I did it, I wanted to clarify...

I've had flash working for quite a while now. The Flash plugin is
available from Adobe's website....

I Installed the Adobe YUM repository:
rpm -ivh
http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

Imported the key:
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

I installed the plugin:
yum install flash-plugin

Once I get a package from a non-fedora site, I always like to remove any
YUM repositories (so there's no conflicts with Fedora)...
rpm -e adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch

To get my webcam to work with flash, I first came across this...
http://wdawe.com/index.php/adobe-breaks-flash-for-linux-webcam-and?blog=1

It still didn't work, so I found this hint while googling...

(You are not setting a variable. Run the commands in a shell as they are
listed below)

To allow Flash webcam support in chrome...
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome

to allow Flash webcam support in firefox...
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so firefox

The target browser opens and you have flash webcam support.

 From what I understand, there's no support for v4l(2) in recent flash
players, so I think this command accesses the v4l(1) compatible layer.

Rocco