[Tfug] fsck question

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jun 1 21:28:37 MST 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM,  <bigj at voipmogul.net> wrote:
> So after a reboot my system decided it needed to fsck an ext3 volume used
> for data and it has found errors like this:
>
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Inode 1245190 has illegal block(s).  Clear<y>?
>
> In all my years I've just cleared the block but since this data has a little
> more importance I figured I would ask, should I be clearing this? My hunch
> is clearing that bad blocks will most likely ruin whatever data resided
> there. Correct? Any other actions I can take?

So, the disk itself, how bad is it?  Unknown?  You can try e2fsck -n
to see just how many there are going to be and also perhaps play with
-c to fiddle with badblocks.  But at the end of the day (baring
expensive stuff), you're going to have some holes in your data,
somewhere.  Or at least that's my recollection + quick googling.

--
Tom