[Tfug] Down Memory Lane II

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Mon Jan 24 23:03:10 MST 2011

On 23 Jan 2011 at 23:26, keith smith  wrote:

> Inflation? I recently went to the ER and it was almost $4000 retail. I
> negotiated it down under $1000. That is much more than inflation.
>
> Reform = free market. take all constraints away and remove the HMO's
> and we would rop a bunch.

Well said.

In the past year I saw a very interesting graph comparing the cost of elective
medical care (e.g. cosmetic surgery) to the cost of non-elective medical care
(e.g. appendectomies) over the past 20 years or so.  Inflation of costs in the
Elective Medical Care is just about the same as the economy.  Inflation of
costs in the other part of medical care is 10-20 times as high.

If it's something the patient is paying for, cost IS an object.

IMHO the best option would be to go to MSPs -- medical savings plans -- for
everyone, combined with catastrophic medical insurance to cover the mega
expenses like cancer.  You don't expect your car insurance to pay for oil
changes or for every scratch in your point, you shouldn't expect your medical
insurance to pay for routine medical expenses like annual exams or minor items
like a few stitches or a broken leg from sliding badly into second base.  If
people had to pay for the minor things, they'd stop, take a couple of aspirin,
and maybe call the doctor in the morning.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona