[Tfug] Looking for PCIe Video, Audio cards & an internal FAST disk drive recommendations

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Sat Jan 15 12:15:46 MST 2011

Hi,

On 1/12/11 1:20 PM, Louis Taber wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Time has come to upgrade my Dell 400SC 2.4Ghz system which I bought
> August 2003.
>
> Are there any recommendations for a PCIe video card and/or Audio card
> for Debian?

If you don't mind Binary drivers, the nvidia series has better linux
support right now for video, especially with VDPAU

I would recommend fanless due to your issues with computer noise

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121385

PCIe audio can get expensive.  USB may be a better option

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102023 <---
support seems to have been added to Alsa in 2009
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzI3MA

Cheap USB, appears to have linux support
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829128002

> The new system is a Dell T110 with a Xenon X3440 processor with 4 PCIe
> slots.  The Dell T110 system comes with an 8Mbyte built in video, no
> audio and currently no RS232 serial ports.  It does have 8 USB ports
> (2 internal) and an external SATA.
>
> My usage is primarily:
> a) GIMP,
> b) An occasional video / podcast,
> c) Some listing to music.
>
> In other words, nothing that is going to stress either card.  I doubt
> I will be doing any video editing, gaming (except robots 2-5 times a
> year) or 3D modeling.
>
> My current screen is 1280x1024 which I have no immediate plans to
> upgrade.  Low cost would be a plus.
>
> I am also looking for recommendations related to a FAST read mostly
> "hard drive" mostly  /usr/bin (and system boot).  64GByte is probably
> sufficient.

Cheap - After Rebate -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139415

Faster http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

Faster / Larger - Good price after rebate -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227685

I would recommend buying 20-30% more SSD then you think you will use, as
it helps the wear leveling algorithms.

-Harry