[Tfug] Looking for PCIe Video, Audio cards & an internal FAST disk drive recommendations

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 14:15:55 MST 2011

I'd run some type of ATI card, now that the open-source driver support has
stabilized some.

According to:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/poweredge-t110/pd.aspx?refid=poweredge-t110&cs=555&s=biz

...you have PCIe "G2" slots, which everybody else calls "2.0".  Looking at
NewEgg's list of PCIe 2.0 cards, there's a ton...here's a good starting
point:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125251

The full list is at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007855&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

I'd go with any ATI-based card in the 34xx or 4xxx series, as they're fast
enough for your needs and have been around long enough for the open-source
support to stabilize.

On open-source support: you're going to be happiest if you run a late-model
kernel such as 2.6.36 or even .37, and the latest Xorg parts as found in
Ubuntu Maverick.  I suspect you can update Debian to that point, via testing
or unstable?

These cards are still recent enough that you can run the ATI Catalyst
drivers if you need to for now, while waiting for Debian's open-source
ATI/Xorg status to update to where you need to be, if you're not interested
in going bleeding-edge with the kernel and Xorg stuff.

The other option if you want is to go with a cheap (sub-$50) NVidia-based
card, run their binary blob for a while, switch to ATI once the open-source
support has stabilized.  Some of these cards are in the $30 range; at that
point it actually makes sense to get something you only intend to keep a
year or so until your choices broaden out.

Jim