[Tfug] Need help on a server performance issue...

b1nary g0d b1naryg0d.ws at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 09:16:30 MST 2010

the switches can die even if there not managed..because the chips inside
store MAC address store-and-forward tables to know which computers on which
port...if thats failing..even partially..the whole setup will crash..but
yeah i recomend eliminating all the failure points that you can and then
slowly adding things back to the setup....but honestly..even if you dont
upgrade the server...get a few decent hard drives and setup a software or
hardware RAID array so at the very least..if hardware does die..you dont
lose data......
run 'uname -a' and 'smbd -V'(might need to type full path to smbd) or
smbstatus and tell us your samba and kernel version....also run lsmod and
lspci so we know what hardware and modules your using...we need that kind of
info before we can really begin to guess...

--B1naryG0d