[Tfug] Questions on unusual hard disks - AV, SSD

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 12:04:56 MST 2010

Around 1997 I was working for an HMO as a programmer working under the Director of Underwriting.  I was tasked with creating thousands of spreadsheets each month.  I was constantly hammering the LANS.  That was back when everyone was running Novell.  One of the directors in the IS dept. decided to give us a ultra wide scsi drive and controller that cost the company about $2700, to reduce LANS traffic. (this way I could pull all the data,  process local, and then write the spreadsheets to the shared server.  Instead of using the shared server to store incremental data) We connected that to a discarded 100MHZ/ 4MB RAM tower.  We upgraded the RAM to 16MB and that thing came alive.  It was at least 10 times faster than in its stock configuration.  Depending on how quick I could pull down the data over the network, the process would take 6 or 8 hours to sometime into the evening/night.

It was an eye opening experience.  RAM and faster drives can do wonders.

Keith Smith