[Tfug] Virtualbox

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat Sep 11 02:25:38 MST 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 04:50:40PM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
>> (2) I found a good description of how to copy XP from one harddisk to
>> another on the net once (and should've archived it but didn't).
>> Anyway, it said the main thing is not to change from an APIC to a
>> non-APIC mobo, because one of the real basic files for the kernel is a
>> different file in those cases, and switching it manually didn't go
>> well for the author.  I only mention this, because this is an option
>> that vbox is happy to change from install to install.
>
>That wasn't entirely clear - apic settings can be changed between
>reboots, has nothing to do with 'install to install'.
>
>Steve

It should be noted, though, that recent versions (don't remember how recent)
of VBox are nice enough to warn you about this.  Namely, don't go changing
APIC/IO-APIC settings for Windows guests.

I believe there is one other parameter that VBox warns you about with regards
to Windows guests and booting, but I don't remember what it is called.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS (soon for Android) --  http://weaselreader.org