[Tfug] Grub rescue

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 07:31:48 MST 2010

Sounds like it may be too late, but for future reference...

As Ammon said, GRUB is pretty powerful and you may be able to get things
working without a disk depending on what is wrong. For example, if the drive
labels changed and grub is looking for the system in the wrong place, you
can hit 'e' to edit the grub line temporarily and point it in the right
direction to get boot properly and then fix the problem form a running
system.

If you need a rescue disk and you have no blank disks but a USB flash drive
and a working windows or ubuntu box with network, you can make a bootable
flash drive.

In ubuntu, it's under admin -> startup disk creator. It doesn't even delete
the data on your drive but watch out not to click 'erase disk' which in the
past asked for no confirmation and just wiped an usb connected drive
(STUPID!).

On windows, I think you have to just follow instructions on the website and
follow the directions for making a bootable usb on windows.

In either case, you need to download an iso, so it may take a while.

Once booted onto a rescue disk, you should be able to poke around the
installed drive an see what is wrong. If you have to do anything from within
the broken system, chroot is awesome.

JDR