[Tfug] Grub rescue

Ammon Lauritzen allaryin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 01:13:17 MST 2010

Boot from a rescue/live cd.

Most installers can help you recover a hosed setup. One way is by
getting you into a full grub environment, from which it is often
possible to attempt booting directly from the os on disk.

Grub is crazy powerful, check docs/wikis for specifics.

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Charles R. Kiss
<charles at kissbrothers.com> wrote:
> Kinda in an emergency situation.
>
> At my girlfriends place, far from home, I got a grub rescue> prompt on her kubuntu/T61 and she has no disks.  And I don't know any commands, only 'ls' works,  no 'cat', no help, etc.
>
> How can I boot this?  Go to the library and make a new install cd??
>
> Thanks
>
> It also has a windows partition on it.  Been getting grub-pc errors for awhile during aptitude installs  . Finally one did it, hplip.
>
> Sent from Samsung mobile

Ammon Lauritzen