[Tfug] A really basic, possibly annoying network question...

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 09:50:11 MST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:

> Therein lies the problem: transfer speeds are crap.  Right now under "file
> operations" it says 1.5MB/s, taking 4+ hours to transfer 27gigs.  Well that
> sucks hard.  When the copying started it briefly hit 6.5MB/s but degraded
> rapidly from there.
>

> In the server it's 10/100, a Realtek RTL8139c.

Don't know that it's the prime cause of your problem, but I'd
recommend swapping the RTL8139c for something else, like an Intel
card.  ISTR reading a note in the driver source code for the older RTL
cards some years back, asserting that the cards were of notoriously
bad design for system efficiency and overloaded the host with
interrupt requests.

I remember seeing many ethernet cards in the bins at WC.

--
John