[Tfug] thesaurus.com restarts xorg/gdm!

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at northwestern.edu
Mon May 17 15:37:49 MST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Phil Simpson <pgsimpso at gmail.com> wrote:
> Which version of Flash are you using?
>
> Is the OS 64 bit?  If yes, are you using nspluginwrapper with 32 bit
> Flash or are you using the 64 bit beta version?

If I'm not mistaken, both debian and ubuntu have moved away from
nspluginwrapper.. which is in some ways a pitty, since I could always
restart that without restarting the browser on my x64 laptop.

But in any case, the point is moot since the laptop in question is
32bit. With 10.04, the 'package' to install flashplugin is actually
just a script called flashplugin-installer which downloads and
installs the latest from adobe.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/flashplugin-installer

I'll check when I get home which version of flashplugin is installed
if it matters that much, but Ive come to expect bugs and crashes in
flash and even the browser. What I am really concerned about here is
that it took down X. That should never happen. To me, it almost as bad
as having an unprivileged user on a server who runs a bit of fortran
that manages to crash/reboot the system.

Thanks,
JDR